Staying physically fit is as important for seniors as it is for younger adults. Routine exercise prevents the development of many different medical conditions. Having flexibility, endurance, and strength also decreases the risk that a senior might fall. Many older people enjoy working out at home, and exercise equipment can enhance their workouts. Many types of equipment are available to aid in the process.
Fitness instructors typically advise that individuals perform stretching exercises before and after workouts. Stretching also keeps the musculoskeletal system flexible, which enhances mobility throughout the body.
• Exercise Mats – Mats are made in a variety of materials that enable users to roll them for easy storage. Different thicknesses provide a cushion between aging bodies and hard floors. The mats may be used for stretching or performing many types of floor exercises.
If you usually help your loved one exercise but need a break now and then, consider having a professional caregiver take over for you. Whether you need respite from your caregiving duties or your aging loved one needs 24-hour care, Waterloo, ON, Home Care Assistance can meet your family’s care needs. Our dedicated caregivers are available around the clock to provide transportation to doctor’s appointments, ensure seniors take their prescribed medications, and help with a variety of tasks in and outside the home.
For Strength Training
Muscle mass continually decreases as adults age. Strength or resistance training is necessary to maintain or build muscle mass and overall strength.
- Dumbbells – Dumbbells are ideal for building strength and muscle mass. The handheld items come in a variety of weights. Sets of progressive weights are also available. Choose light weights when first starting a routine and gradually increase the weight as the body permits. Strap-on weights are the ideal choice should a senior decide to enhance the benefits provided by simply walking.
- Resistance Bands – These bands are crafted from elastic materials and may be anchored to a specific spot or used with both hands. Different bands provide varying degrees of resistance. Many types of exercises may be easily performed using the equipment. The bands are ideal, as stretching the material becomes increasingly difficult, which is the opposite effect that free weights provide. Resistance bands are also easily stored and don’t cause injury if they’re accidentally dropped.
Most seniors are able to enjoy the benefits of exercise, especially with the help of trained professional caregivers. Waterloo senior care experts are available to provide high-quality care to seniors on an as-needed basis. From assistance with mobility and exercise to providing transportation to the doctor’s office and social events, there are a variety of ways professional caregivers can help your aging loved one continue to live independently.
For Aerobic Exercise
Seniors must include some type of aerobic workouts in their routines. Aerobic activity enhances cardiovascular health by enhancing blood flow throughout the body while strengthening the heart. Aerobic exercise also maintains cognitive health and strengthens the regions of the body used during the process.
• Treadmills – These machines are useful for walking or jogging indoors during inclement weather when exercising outdoors isn’t an option. Many types of treadmills are available, ranging from basic models to more extravagant versions that enable users to adjust speed, incorporate inclines, and monitor vital signs.
- Exercise Bikes – Cycling is a wonderful means of getting a low-impact aerobic workout. Bikes are ideal for any senior. However, this type of exercise is especially helpful for older adults who have musculoskeletal problems. The bikes come in different varieties that require riders to sit upright or in a relaxed recumbent position. Many also enable users to adjust the level of resistance. Some also offer arm and upper body workouts, monitor distance and calories burned, or monitor heart rates.
Seniors who need help exercising safely can benefit from the help of trained professional caregivers. Homecare professionals can be a wonderful boon to seniors. Whether they require around-the-clock supervision or just need assistance with exercise and household tasks a few days a week, seniors can enjoy a higher quality of life with the help of trusted in-home caregivers. Reach out to us at Home Care Assistance if you need compassionate, professional home care for your loved one. Call one of our dedicated Care Managers today at 519-954-2110 to learn about the high quality of our in-home care services.